Best Hypoallergenic Metals For Sensitive Skin

October 8, 2022
Precious Metals , Tips

Have you ever had an allergic reaction to jewelry? If so, then this article is for YOU! There are a few hypoallergenic metals that can be worn without causing any irritation. 

At Bling Advisor, you can create a beautiful custom piece of jewelry while knowing that we offer precious metals that are hypoallergenic and gentle on your skin. Unlike traditional alloys, hypoallergenic metal is composed of higher-quality materials that contain fewer irritants and additives. Thanks to this special construction, those with sensitive skin can wear the jewelry confidently, knowing it won’t cause any reactions or discomfort.

Crafting a custom piece of jewelry from these superior materials not only results in a high-end product but also gives you peace of mind knowing that you’ll be able to enjoy wearing your piece without worrying about irritation or discoloration. All in all, if you’re looking for a luxurious custom-made piece of jewelry safe for sensitive skin, Bling Advisor is the perfect destination!

Create a custom jewelry piece today!

Creating a custom jewelry piece with Bling Advisor is a fantastic way to make a piece your own while investing in a high-quality, lasting piece of fine jewelry.


This blog post will discuss what types of metals might work well with your sensitive skin and how best to choose the right piece from our extensive collection at Bling Advisor.

What is the definition of “hypoallergenic”?

Hypoallergenic means “below normal in terms of allergy-producing potential.” In other words, it’s less likely to cause an allergic reaction. So if you have sensitive skin, hypoallergenic metals are a great option!

What makes jewelry hypoallergenic?

Hypoallergenic jewelry is made with little to no potentially irritating alloys. You can find a variety of components and styles in ready-to-wear form, so you’re sure not to have any problems finding something for your needs!

What is an Alloy?

An alloy is a mixture of two or more metals. The alloys used in jewelry can sometimes cause an allergic reaction, so choosing metals that are less likely to contain them is important.

What metals are best for sensitive skin?

If you have sensitive skin, we recommend these hypoallergenic metal options. They are less likely to cause a metal allergy:

hypoallergenic metals


Although various materials are described as being hypoallergenic, Platinum is considered to be the only completely hypoallergenic metal. It’s particularly advised for people with a strong sensitivity because it’s the most safe material for wearing on the skin, according to jewelers.

The reason is, Platinum is 95% pure and doesn’t contain any other metal alloys like gold or sterling silver. Plus, it’s also resistant to corrosion and tarnishing. Furthermore, it’s highly unreactive, meaning common acids don’t affect it. When conducting patch tests of Platinum on the skin, people very rarely have a positive reaction.

hypoallergenic jewelry metals

Stainless Steel 

Stainless Steel is a strong, durable metal that is hypoallergenic and non-irritating. It’s a great choice for people with metal allergies who want an option less likely to cause an allergic reaction.

best metal for sensitive ears


Silver is a precious metal that is non-irritating, in addition to being hypoallergenic. Sterling silver jewelry is a great choice for people with a metal allergy who want jewelry that is less likely to cause an irritation.

hypoallergenic metals for jewelry


Gold is not only beautiful and precious but also hypoallergenic and non-irritating. These properties make pure gold, rose gold, or white gold ideal for people with sensitive skin or allergies. Gold is a great choice for metal allergies.

The main metals that cause a reaction

If you have metal allergies or sensitive skin

hypoalergenic metals


Nickel is a metal that is often used in jewelry and can be the cause of allergic reactions. If you have sensitive skin, we recommend avoiding nickel altogether.

what metals are hypoallergenic


Copper is commonly used in jewelry but can cause allergic reactions or turn skin green. We recommend avoiding it if you have sensitive skin.

Common metal allergy symptoms

If you’re allergic to a metal, you may experience these symptoms:


-Itchy skin




If you experience these symptoms, please remove the jewelry and consult a doctor.

Why are pure metals mixed to create alloys?

Alloys are mixed to create a stronger, more durable metal. However, alloys can sometimes cause an allergic reaction in people with sensitive skin. If you have allergies, we recommend avoiding alloys.

Want to create a custom piece? Get in contact with us to get a quote!

Schedule a Virtual Call with one of our Advisors

Get Started

What is the best way to clean hypoallergenic metals?

We recommend using mild soap and water to clean your hypoallergenic metals. Avoid harsh chemicals or cleaners, as they may damage the metal or cause an allergic reaction.

In Conclusion

Hypoallergenic metals are a wonderful option for individuals who have sensitive skin. Nickel and copper, which are well-known allergen sources, should be avoided. Instead, choose hypoallergenic metals such as platinum, stainless steel, silver, or gold.

Clean your jewelry regularly with mild soap and water to avoid any damage or adverse side effects. If you experience any allergic symptoms while wearing the jewelry, remove it and see your doctor right away.

We hope this article was helpful to you!

Shopping cart


No products in the cart.